In this guide, you'll create a local vault on another device to sync with your remote vault. This keeps the local vaults on all your devices in sync.
> [!tip] Obsidian URIs
> If you want Obsidian URIs to work across devices, make sure to give your local vaults the same name on all devices.
You need to have [[set up Obsidian Sync]] on at least one device and have created a remote vault on Obsidian Sync.
## Sync a remote vault on a fresh installation
If this is the first time you open Obsidian on the device, follow these steps:
1. Open Obsidian.
2. Select **Sign in** next to **Open vault from Obsidian Sync**.
3. In **Email**, enter your email.
4. In **Password**, enter your password.
5. Select **Sign in**.
6. Select **Connect** for the vault you want to set up.
7. Enter a local name for the vault, or leave to use the same name as the remote vault.
8. Select **Browse** and select the folder on your device where you want to sync the vault.
9. Select **Create**.
10. Select **Start syncing** to sync your local vault with the remote vault.
## Sync an existing local vault
This section explains how to sync an existing local vault with a remote vault.
![[Set up Obsidian Sync#Log in with your Obsidian account]]
![[Set up Obsidian Sync#Enable Obsidian Sync]]
### Connect to a remote vault
1. Open **Settings**.
2. In the sidebar, click **Sync**.
3. Next to **Pick remote vault**, click **Choose**.
4. Click **Connect** next to the remote vault you want to connect to. If the vault on your device already contains some notes (not recommended), you'll be warned that those notes will be merged before proceeding.
5. In **Encryption password**, enter the password for your vault, if you have one.
## Next steps
Obsidian Sync displays a green checkmark in the bottom-right corner when it has finished syncing the vaults.
If you don't want to sync the entire vault to your device, refer to [[Select files and settings to sync]].