Daily notes opens a note based on today's date, or creates it if it doesn't exist. Use daily notes to create journals, to-do lists, or daily logs for things you discovered during the day.
To open today's daily note, either:
- Click **Open today's daily note** (calendar with checkmark icon) in the [[Ribbon|ribbon]].
- Run **Open today's daily note** from the [[Command palette]].
- [[Custom hotkeys#Setting hotkeys|Use a hotkey]] for the **Open today's daily note** command.
By default, Obsidian creates a new empty note named after today's date in the YYYY-MM-DD format.
> If you prefer to have your daily notes in a separate folder, you can set the **New file location** under plugin options to change where Obsidian creates new daily notes.
## Create a daily note from template
If your daily notes have the same structure, you can use a [[Templates|template]] to add pre-defined content to your daily notes when you create them.
1. Create a new note named "Daily template" with the following text (or whatever makes sense to you!):
- [ ]
2. Open **Settings**.
3. In the sidebar, click **Daily notes** under **Plugin options**.
4. In the text box next to **Template file location**, select the "Daily template" note.
Obsidian uses the template the next time you create a new daily note.